Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Triple T Salad

So as far as I can tell, food bloggers like to chat a little bit before they share their recipes. I think it's awesome, and it definitely helps you get a feel for people. However, sometimes I just scroll to the bottom of the page and check out the recipe instead. So, feel free to do that if you want to. I won't tell!

As I am sure you will figure out, I like salads. I like them a lot. As much as I adore all kinds of food, and have been known to make some pretty unhealthy things (ahem, tater tot breakfast nachos), I really love "healthy" food. I also don't really cook meat, like, ever. I like to say that I was raised a vegetarian, which just means that my mom hasn't eaten meat since I was alive, and my sister has been a veggie for years and years. I still remember when my father's face fell the first time that I told him to also throw a veggie burger on the grill for me, instead of eating a beef burger with him at a family dinner in high school. That's not to say that I have ever labeled myself a vegetarian, or ever plan on it. My reasoning is simple: all ethical issues aside, a plant-based diet is simply the best diet to have. This is the hands-down truth, and I am sticking by that statement. On top of that, it's cheaper to not buy meat, and then I would have to learn how to cook it! Also, veggies are delicious in so many ways that I have never gotten anywhere near close to bored from making delicious vegetarian dishes. Also, one of my roommates (one of the boys that this blog refers to) is a vegetarian. I am fond of splitting the grocery bill three ways, so I'll continue to make things that he can eat. But another passion of mine is travel and I like to try new foods everywhere I go, without restricting myself or my diet. You see, it all works out. 

My biggest problem with salads is not having them suffice as a whole meal, especially for dinner. I love the way my body feels after having a light and fiber-packed bowl of greens, but hate it when my stomach is still rumbling afterwards. I can often be found with a spoon in the peanut butter jar around 11pm when I've had a light meal for dinner. But, that's why I added the tofurky sausages to this one. It was just a lunch salad, and made kind of in a hurry between activities and classes, but I think it would be good for dinner to. If I make it again, I think I'll add lemon juice to the dressing, and maybe a bit of Dijon too... 

One last thing: I felt super reluctant about making this salad. So much so that I almost didn't do it. But as someone famous once said, necessity is the mother of invention. We had two whole packages of Tofurky sausages in the fridge that some friends bought and left there over New Years, and I have been trying to get rid of them in a timely manner. The reason I was so nervous was that I think this sale is, well, kind of trashy. Who puts tortellili in a salad? Anyways, I did it, and I give you this: 



Trashy Tortellini & Tofurky Salad 


Ingredients:
3 Romaine Lettuce hearts 
1 package of cheese tortellini, cooked per package directions and cooled
2 oz crumbled Feta cheese
1 cup raw pecans
1/2 cup dried cranberries 
2 links Tofurky Italian turkey sausage 
Olive oil
Balsamic vinegar 

Directions:
While the water is heating up/tortellini is cooking, prepare the rest of the ingredients. Toast the pecans in a dry pan (or you can spray with coconut oil spray) and tear the washed lettuce into bite-size pieces. Slice the tofurky links and then quarter each cylinder. 

Combine the lettuce, pecans, cranberries, and Tofurky in a large bowl. When the tortellini is done, spin it in a salad spinner if you have one. If not, you should get on because it's my all-time favorite kitchen item! Add it to the bowl and then drizzle both olive oil and balsamic over the top, depending on your tastes. I tend to make things a little heavy on the vinegar, but it's up to you! Toss together, sprinkle feta on top, and serve. This makes enough for 4 good-size salads. 

inspired by this recipe: http://keepitskinny.wordpress.com/2010/06/08/tortellini-salad-with-cranberries-feta-and-pecans/

No comments:

Post a Comment