Friday, January 17, 2014

Salted Clementine Snacks


I'm currently in Salt Lake City, Utah and feeling a little stranded. I work part-time for a company that sends me all over the country (and sometimes outside the country- I am going to Vancouver next month and I can't wait!). Traveling on someone else's dime definitely has its perks, and even though this trip was last minute (read: two days notice), I am glad that it came up. However, now I can't go see Cate le Bon at home in Philadelphia tonight with my two favorite boys :( I also have to take an overnight flight from SLC to New York City, leaving at midnight, to be able to keep my weekend plans for brunching and going to the MoMa, etc. Needless to say, I could use a nap, and since I have no hotel to return to and my flight isn't for another nine hours, I thought I would share this:

Salted Clementine Snacks 
Ingredients:
5 clementines (mandarin oranges)
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
coarse sea salt or *sprinkles* 

Directions:
First, prepare a couple plates or a cookie sheet by covering with wax paper. Next, peel and section all the clementines, making sure to remove as much pith (white stuff) as possible. While you are doing this, melt the chocolate chips. You can do this in the microwave or on the stovetop. I prefer the stove, but either way, make sure to monitor and stir because those suckers melt fast. Then, dip each section into the melted chocolate (making sure to get all sides) and place on the wax paper. Now it's time to sprinkle on the toppings! When I made these, I used salt, but I put too much!! They ended up tasting much too salty and I was bummed, so be very careful! If you have cute sprinkles on hand, I would say to add some of those to some of the fruit so you can have sweet and salty. I wish I would have thought of it sooner! Put the tray(s) in the refrigerator until hard (about 10 minutes) and then enjoy! You can keep them for a couple days in an airtight container, but they tend to sweat, so they are best the same day as they are made. So, prepare to share! 

p.s. As you may already know / will learn quickly, I LOVE nail art. I do my nails about twice a week and it's a perfect way for me to inject art and creativity into my occasionally bland and science-filled life. Also, I got this book from my sister for Christmas and the whole thing is so picturesque! This is the second year in a row that my sister has gotten me a book for Christmas that I really, really wanted, but didn't tell anyone I wanted! Sisters are so cool. 

No comments:

Post a Comment