Thursday, February 13, 2014

Giant Cast Iron Cookie


First off, I apologize for the lapse in posts while I was traveling on a business trip to San Francisco for a few days. Though it rained every second of every day that I was there, it was still SO much better than this polar vortex shit. It was weird being back there because I have such fond memories of visiting my sister when she lived there, which was only a couple years ago. This time, I was adventuring all alone. Well, not the whole time - I managed to grab dinner with a girl I have known for twenty years (crazy, right?!) and that was lovely. I also managed to go look at the Golden Gate, drink coffee in the mission, and score a badass thrifted denim jacket. So, even after waking up at 5am for 4 days in a row, I have no complaints. However, it was good to be home again, planning meals and buying groceries and hanging out with my favorite boys. 

Speaking of the polar vortex, we are snowed in. Again. I normally volunteer at a horse stable on Thursday mornings and it's the best part of my week, but nope. My favorite barre class, cardio barre, is also on Thursdays. Nope. This weather makes me really wish I was still in grad school - the automatic text messages telling me that school is cancelled mean nothing anymore :( Sigh. 

My roommates and I don't normally go that wild. They study A LOT and I busy myself with lots of other things. But, despite the "snowpacalypse", we decided to go to a dance party at a bar last night. It was a great idea. That led to sleeping in, bundling up to walk through feet of snow to buy bars of chocolate this morning, and then eating this giant skillet cookie for breakfast. We are so sassy. (Speaking of sassy, Mishka the kitten decided that her furry little foot should also be part of this photo).


Salted Chocolate Chip Skillet Cookie 
makes 1 big cookie

Ingredients
1 stick unsalted butter, softened, plus more for greasing the pan 
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar, lightly packed
1 egg
3 teaspoons vanilla extract 
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp coarse salt, plus more for sprinkling
~1 1/2 cups chocolate chunks (I broke up two chocolate bars- one was a milk chocolate with almonds and the other was a bittersweet dark chocolate and mixed them! You can get creative here, or just buy chocolate chips too) 

Directions 
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease your cast iron skillet with butter, generously (I used about 1 1/2 Tbs of butter for this)
2. Beat together the butter and both sugars until light and fluffy (I used my upright Kitchen Aid for this, but a regular hand-held would work just as well). 
3. Add the egg and vanilla to the wet mixture and mix until combined.
4. In a separate bowl, combine the dry ingredients: flour, baking soda, salt. 
5. Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet, combining until uniform. 
6. Stir in the chocolate.
7. Press your dough into the prepared cast iron pan, using a flat spatula to ensure it is even.
8. Bake for 25 minutes, turning once about half way through. 

Recipe Adapted from Gimme Some Oven 

No comments:

Post a Comment