Sunday, February 2, 2014

Double Decker Breakfast Tostadas

So today is an extra-special Sunday for lots of people, I guess. First, it's Groundhog Day (surprise- more winter!) but mainly, it's the Super Bowl. Honestly, I don't care about football... at all. Watching sports or keeping up with any of them really isn't my thing - it's a hobby that I feel like I have neither the time nor the interest for. I love playing sports and being physically active, but I'm not all that good at sitting still enough to watch anything, a game included. In my whole life, I have never watched an entire game of anything on TV from start to finish. I will go to any sort of game, but that's a different story. That involves drinking overpriced beer, eating trashy food like hot dogs, and people watching galore. I'll do those things any day! 

The only reason that I care about today in the smallest way is that the Broncos are in the Super Bowl. If I had friends that cared about sports, I would probably join them in the celebration, yelling at the TV and eating tons of wings (that's what you're supposed to do during the Super Bowl, right??). But, I have done a good job of gathering a group of like-minded friends, none of whom care about today. So, even though "my team" is playing, I am not really doing anything special. I already tell everyone constantly how great Colorado is, so the Broncos winning (I've already decided they will) will just add fuel to my argument about how it's probably the best place ever. I even dug out my 1987 AFC champs Broncos t-shirt (thrifted from Goodwill about 10 years ago) and wore it to barre class this afternoon in hopes that someone would say something and I could wax about how heavenly my homeland is. But, they didn't. So today was the same as any other Sunday: filled with brunch and (at least one) workout. Today I ran 4 miles and then went to barre class just because it was nice out and I was feeling inspired. Sometimes I have too much energy for my own good. 

Brunch didn't happen exactly as I was hoping today, but it all worked out. This has been one of those weekends where nothing seems to be going my way. This morning, I had the beans on the stove, some greens on the cutting board, and realized I had no corn tortillas. I would swear on my life that I picked up a package at Trader Joe's yesterday and put them in my cart. But, grocery shopping yesterday was a zoo. (It's the Super Bowl today, remember?) So, maybe they slipped out of my cart. Or maybe the clerk forgot to scan them. Who knows. All I know is that the star of my brunch wasn't present when I needed it. After huffing and puffing, putting "real clothes" on  (I tend to lounge around the house in men's boxer briefs), and complaining more than necessary about having to drive to Whole Foods, my boyfriend reminded me that our neighborhood is full of Puerto Rican bodegas and I could probably find tortillas without getting in the car and losing my parking spot. I walked to the closest one (3 blocks) and they had some. So, I was forced to take some deep breaths and calm down. I'm still getting used to this east coast bodega thing... 

Anyways, these guys have been on my brunch list for quite a while, and I'm so glad I made them this morning. I'll take any excuse I can to eat more Mexican food (and add green chiles to anything and everything)!!


Double Decker Breakfast Tostadas
ingredients listed made brunch for 3, but everything can be altered to make more!

Ingredients
2 cups black beans (almost two 15oz cans, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup sour cream, plus more for topping
2 green onions, both white and green parts, chopped
2 teaspoons ground cumin
3 teaspoons chile powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
4 ounces chopped green chiles 
12 small corn tortillas
olive oil
6 eggs
1 cup shredded Pepperjack cheese
1 avocado, sliced
chopped cilantro for topping
1 lime

Directions
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Heat the beans on the stovetop over low heat. When they are steaming, add 1/4 cup water and the sour cream, green onions, cumin, chile powder, salt, and pepper.
2. Stir the mixture until combined and then use a potato masher to coarsely mash the bean mixture. Cover and keep on low heat.
3. Lay the tortillas out on two baking sheets and brush them with olive oil. Bake until lightly browned and crispy at the edges, about 5 minutes.
4. While the tortillas are baking, cook the fried eggs. Using a cast iron pan over medium-high heat, crack 4 eggs at a time and let them cook until the white part is opaque and solid, but the yellow is still liquid. When they are getting close to being done, I like to turn off the heat and let them cook for a couple minutes more, which seems to work nicely.
5. Assemble the tostadas! I used a large spoonful of bean mixture on each tortilla and then stacked them one on top of another. (You could probably do an extra layer of cheese in the middle too!) Sprinkle some cheese on the top, add a fried egg, and top with avocado, cilantro, and a bit of pepper. Serve with lime wedges on the side. Ole! 

Recipe Adapted from the Sprouted Kitchen cookbook 

No comments:

Post a Comment